Friday, March 26, 2010

Four Pebble Meditation Exercise for Mothers and Children

Here is a lovely meditation practice for children, and points out that many adults like it too.

He calls it “four pebble meditation” and here’s how to do it -

First, select and collect four pebbles and keep them in small bag.

Select them so that each pebble reminds you, in turn, of a flower, a mountain, still water and space.

Take the first pebble, the 'flower' pebble, in your left hand, close your eyes and say “I see myself as a flower. I feel fresh.” Try to picture yourself as a flower in a warm breeze.

Repeat three times, then lay the pebble down.

Take the next pebble, the 'mountain' pebble, in your left hand and say “I see myself as a mountain. I feel solid” Picture yourself as a mountain, strong, and unmoveable.

Repeat three times, then lay the pebble down. Put this pebble aside.

Take the 'water' pebble in your left hand, saying “I see myself as still water. I reflect things as they truly are.” Picture yourself as a pool of fresh calm water reflecting the trees and flowers at your side.

Repeat three times, then lay the pebble down. Put this pebble aside.

Take the last pebble. The 'space' pebble and say “I see myself as space. I feel free.” Picture yourself as the vastness of space, quiet and enveloping, moving out beyond the troubles of the world and the restriction of gravity.
Repeat three times, then lay the pebble down.

No comments:

Post a Comment